Photographer Insurance

Photo provided by Jack Lawson Photography. Jack is a Photoshield client.

Get a quote
Cover at the click of a button

For professional photographers, no two days are the same. So it’s important to make sure you have the right kind of cover to keep you protected while you’re working.

From keeping your expensive camera equipment covered to safeguarding against accidents on a shoot to paying for legal costs, photographer insurance protects you from a wide range of potential issues – so you can focus on the bigger picture: your business.

While photographers insurance isn’t a legal requirement, it’s a common stipulation from clients and on projects so they feel happy to work with you. Cover can include Professional Indemnity insurance, Public Liability insurance, legal expenses, cover for photography equipment, and even Employers’ Liability insurance if you have staff in your photography business.

Most clients will need you to have Public Liability insurance cover as a minimum – but insurance for photographers can offer protection for all aspects of your business, from covering the costs of a broken lens, to loss of income due to an accident, to your legal expenses if something goes wrong.

We understand the needs and risks of running a photography business. Our insurance is here to help.

Get your quote today

Why choose PhotoShield?

PhotoShield is one of the UK’s leading videography and photography insurance specialists. Now we are part of the Performance brand, we’ve got the knowledge, experience and network to find the videographer insurance that’s right for you.

We’ve been looking out for you behind the lens for over 20 years, so we understand what it takes to safeguard your photography business. That’s why we’ve partnered with a leading insurer to secure an exclusive insurance policy that you won’t find anywhere else.

We always listen to our customers. Our insurance for photographers is flexible, competitive and developed just for you. So if you want to put peace of mind in your picture, just give us a call.

We offer:

  • Over 20 years’ experience insuring photographers and videographers
  • Flexible payment options – choose to pay by monthly instalments or as an upfront single payment
  • A range of covers, including camera equipment insurance, public liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance, employers liability insurance and more
  • A UK-based team ready to help
  • Cover at the click of a button using our online system – get a quote and buy your business insurance in just a matter of minutes.
The types of cover we can offer
Photography equipment cover

Your photography equipment is vital to the smooth running of your business. We can help keep your cameras safe, including equipment such as tripods, lighting and lenses, from risks like accidental damage, theft and more. Find out more about our camera equipment insurance here.

Professional Indemnity cover

Professional Indemnity insurance is an important cover for any creative service based business. It covers you for compensation you could have to pay to your clients or any other third parties as a result of problems with your work. This cover also includes legal fees so any legal defence costs you may incur are covered too. Find out more about Professional Indemnity insurance here.

Public Liability insurance

As a professional photographer, you may work with models, clients or other professionals in a range of different locations. If anyone gets hurt or injured, or somebody’s property gets damaged, as a result of your work they’re entitled to claim for compensation. Public Liability cover offers you protection and it’s a crucial form of business insurance for any photographer. Read more about Public Liability insurance here.

Employers’ Liability insurance

Do you employ staff or hire in freelancers? If you have any person working for you, then you should consider Employers’ Liability insurance as a priority. This will protect you from claims made against you if anyone working for you falls ill, or gets injured, as a result of their work for you. Find out more about Employers’ Liability insurance here.

Personal accident insurance

Have you considered what would happen if you had an accident and couldn’t work? Personal accident cover is a type of business insurance that can cover you and nominated staff if an accidental bodily injury stops you from working. It can be extended to include freelancers if you wish and it will also offer weekly payments for both total and partial disablement, along with lump sum payments for death, loss of sight and/or hearing and loss of limbs. You can find out more about personal accident insurance here.

Photographer insurance FAQs
Are photographers legally required to buy Employers' Liability cover?

Yes, Employers’ Liability insurance is compulsory cover for nearly all companies with employees. So if you employ individuals during the year for your business then you will need to make sure you have this insurance in place.

A client is asking for a copy of my Public Liability insurance, am I ok to send them a copy?

Yes, this is a fairly common practice for businesses in the UK.

If a client alleges that they have suffered a financial loss as a result of professional negligence on my behalf, would my insurance policy help me deal with this claim scenario?

If you have Professional Indemnity insurance included then yes, this section of your insurance would help you deal with this sort of situation. If this ever happens, you should never admit any liability, and report this to our claims team straight away.

How much does photographer insurance cost?

Photography insurance costs will vary according to how much cover you need and some of the information you give us when you get a quote. With Photoshield, you can arrange cover from just £25 per month and you can get an online quote now by clicking here.

Can I add extra cover to my insurance policy during the year?

Yes, this isn’t a problem. We understand that you may buy more equipment during the course of the business year and a number of our customers often need to add cover for items they purchase, so your policy will allow you to do this.

How do I make a claim?

Our claims service is at the centre of everything we do. The process is simple, head here to find out more on how to claim.

Client Spotlight
Jack Lawson Photography

View Jack’s Portfolio

Can't find what you need?

Get in touch with our specialist team.

01274 518366
Cover not due yet?

Let us know when the time is right to contact you.